Monday, April 17, 2006
Keysound Radio: 4Bristol mix
1. Kode 9 ‘Ghost Town’ dubplate
2. Burial ‘Distant Lights’ dubplate
3. Blackdown ‘Crackle Blues’ dubplate
4. Dusk + Blackdown ‘Submerge’ Keysound Recordings 12”
5. Burial ‘You Hurt Me (version)’ dubplate
6. Dusk + Blackdown ‘Mantis VIP’ dubplate
7. Blackdown ‘Mantis VI3’ dubplate
8. Digital Mystikz ‘People Unite’ dubplate
9. Blackdown ‘Lata’ dubplate
10. Blackdown ‘The Danger Line’ dubplate
11. Skream v Distance ‘Political Warfare’ dubplate
12. Skream ‘Deep Concentration’ dubplate
13. Blackdown ‘ZGK’ dubplate
14. Dusk ‘Mantis (Blackdown remix)’ dubplate
15. Sizzla ‘Obstacles (Blackdown refix)’ dubplate
16. Digital Mystikz ‘Forgive’ dubplate
17. Newham Generals ‘Mic Centre’ dubplate
Download the Keysound Radio: 4Bristol mix now
So here it should have been, the mix I’d spent months building from the very kick, snare and crackle upwards, from loop to track, mixdown to train south journey to Transition and three times more to collect some 10” press … only to get a slapdown from MC ‘flu virus and his shifting friends.
The mix is as exactly as I would have played it, from intro to outro. It contains fresh Mala, in ‘up’ mode, an exclusive Burial cut – the original, warm summery 2steppy mix of ‘You Hurt Me’ – and some new dubs from me. ‘Mantis VI3’ was finished and mixed for the occasion, more excursions into gongs and offkey Chinese melodies. ‘Mantis VIP’ was written by Dusk and myself and goes deeper, stranger and darker than we’ve gone before, completing the Mantis trilogy – an exploration of Chinese and Arabic offkey melodics.
My Sizzla refix was written two days after 7/7, in the same bright sunshine this mix happened to be recorded in. It’s riddled with a happy-to-be-alive vibe – I was at Archway on the tube when the bombs went off, five stops from horror. I was lucky.
Finally on another note, the mighty K Punk has weighed in with two two epic posts on the Burial LP, sparking a tasty Dissensus thread. So great to have some of the heavyweights returning their gaze to dubstep.